Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cat Cafe on Independence Day

Happy Independence Day!  Today marks 67 years since Korea declared their independence from Japan.  And the animosity between the two countries still runs quite high, just look at the Olympic soccer game last week.  But it also means today was a mid-week day off!

Unfortunately the monsoon arrived last night and still has not left.  Within minutes of stepping outside this morning the wind and rain had me drenched.  The thunder and lightning were quite impressive too.  In addition to soaking me, it also caused my cell phone to stop working since it got so wet in my pocket, hopefully this is a momentary thing! 

After making it through the monsoon I met up with two other foreign teachers and we went to check out a cat cafe.  No, this is not a restaurant where you eat cat!  A cat cafe is like any cafe where you buy a drink, but you also get to play with all the pet cats you want.  The place had about 20 cats just wandering around for you to pet and play with.  The cats were all very friendly and mellow.  You weren't supposed to pick up the cats but they would just wander into your lap whether you were sitting on the floor or in a chair.  Personally I think this is a genius concept.  For anyone that needs a cat fix but doesn't want to or can't have their own cat, this is the perfect place to come.  The three of us spent a good two hours playing with all the little cats.  I didn't realize how much I missed being around pets for the last five and a half months until I had a cat curl up and fall asleep in my lap.  I bet you could do it with other animals too, like maybe turtles (I don't think Gary would mind being part of a turtle cafe!)  You would think a place with twenty cats would be pretty dirty but actually the entire place was incredibly clean.  They had several robot vacuum cleaners roaming the floor, the workers were always cleaning things or brushing the cats, the cats were all litter box trained and there was no cat smell whatsoever.  Definitely going back to play with the cats again!




No comments:

Post a Comment