Sunday, November 11, 2012

Happy Pepero Day!

Since I have been slacking on the blogging I thought I would make up for it by doing two posts in one day!  And because in the last post I totally forgot to wish everyone a Happy Pepero Day!  While Americans are celebrating Veteran's Day, Koreans are celebrating Pepero Day on 11/11.  Pepero Day is when everyone buys the snack pepero, simply because pepero looks like a stick and can be arranged to look like the date 11/11.  The first reaction we had when learning of this holiday:  They don't celebrate Halloween but they celebrate something like that??  Strange, I know.  The displays and gift baskets of pepero are just as prevalent and large as the spam baskets available during the Korean Thanksgiving holiday.  I bet they went overboard crazy last year when it was 11/11/11.  This is what pepero looks like.  It is very similar to Japanese "pocky" that can sometimes be found in the US. 

Several kids at school were bringing boxes of pepero on Friday to share with the other students and teachers

One more thought for the day:  Tonight while out and about we passed a stand on the street selling fruit, particularly a very large quantity of apples for very cheap.  This is how we always buy our fruit but I thought the price for apples was even better than normal so I jumped on it.  The only problem was it was dark and I didn't take the time to look closely at the apples before buying them.  When we got home I realized they were already starting to go bad and that I should probably do something with them ASAP.  So, lacking an oven and having only a few ingredients on hand, my Sunday night consisted mostly of making applesauce.  However, I did find a recipe for an apple skillet cake which I decided to test out.  It received a thumbs up from both of us.  I still have some apples left so I may make another attempt at some sort of stove top apple dessert tomorrow.  Or more applesauce.

  You were supposed to flip it out of the pan so that the apples were on top but this picture turned out much nicer than the one after I attempted to flip it onto a plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment