Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday

Just wanted to share a bit about our day.  This morning when we went outside to pick up our bikes and ride to work we realized that my bike was most definitely not there.  Yes, sometime between 7:40 last night and 9:40 this morning someone stole my bike that was locked to the bike rack.  As we rode the bus to work (checking out every bike we passed through the window) we wondered if we could file a police report, but doubted it since a bike isn't worth all that much in comparison to other crimes.  However, within about ten minutes of arriving at work there were two police officers outside the building taking down the report.  We told one of our Korean friends about my bike and he was quickly on the phone with the police who arrived three minutes later (which I consider quite impressive since traffic never pulls over for them whether they have their sirens on or not).  I just have to throw in the comment that when my car was stolen four years ago, I never saw a police officer in person.  Korea must take bike theft more seriously than America takes car theft!  Anyway the report was filed and the day at work went on.  After lunch the school secretary, who speaks very limited English, told me the police called and my bike was upstairs.  Unsure of quite what she meant I followed her upstairs to find Eric standing next to a new, pink bike he had bought me on his lunch break.  He said he felt bad for me and didn't want me to have to walk or take the bus the rest of the year so he bought me a classic "girly" bike that is even much cooler than my stolen bike. 

I know the "retro" style might be out back home but it is very much still "in" here in Seoul.  I will probably look even more Korean with my pink, retro bike!  And yes, both of our bikes will be parked in our small apartment from now on.

Also check out the following video from our birthday party celebrating May birthdays today.  Alvin doesn't quite get the blowing out of the candles even with Eric Teacher's help.



No comments:

Post a Comment