Sunday, July 1, 2012

An Outing to Namdaemun

Well it stopped raining yesterday, earlier than it was supposed and even giving us time for a nighttime bike ride along the river last night.  Today we decided to check out Namdaemun Market to see if we could find any good deals on anything.  We went to Namdaemun shortly after we first got here and got a good deal on a couple nice backpacks.  Namdaemun is where you can find a lot of knockoff brands or fake brands for cheap (though the price for foreigners is often higher than for Koreans).  Today we wanted to look at wallets and there were sure plenty to choose from.  After a bit of walking we found a man with a big mound of wallets without much organization or orderly display so knew his prices would be quite cheap compared to the tables with a very orderly display.  Not only was the price great (10,000 won, less than $10), but the guy charged us the same price as he was charging the Koreans.  We don't expect them to last us too long but are excited by our find all the same.  Eric is still on the hunt for a fake Rolex or other watch and I have decided that I will probably need a fake Coach purse before we go home.  I thought I would just find out how much one cost when I walked by one today.  The man told me and I said okay and turned to keep walking, as I did the man quickly lowered the price by 5000 won.  I told him no, it's okay I was just looking and kept walking.  He followed me (with the purse) and continued to lower the price by 5000 won.  I guess maybe I should have gone ahead and bought one today with the price getting so low!  Or maybe I at least learned a strategy for bargaining!  Here are a few pictures from Namdaemun...

 Checking out some shoes
 Namdaemun Market
 Thinking I will need one before we leave :)
Our find for the day: 2 cheap wallets :)

No comments:

Post a Comment