Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween in Korea

Just like we talked about last year, nothing is done for Halloween in Korea.  Except at the English hagwons that is.  Last year the students at our hagwon dressed up and we had a party with them.  The same thing was done at Eric's hagwon this year.  He decided at the last minute (last night) that he wanted to at least have some form of a costume so he bought a mask and a play knife for his "costume" and a plastic pumpkin to hold the candy he would give out.  I felt a little left out when I saw pictures from everyone's Halloween parties with the kindergartners today!  As if I didn't miss teaching kindergarten enough... 

Being at a public school in Korea meant there was no mention of Halloween today.  Instead the classes took the midterm tests today.  Since I do have some freedom with the curriculum I use, I created a couple of Halloween lessons for all of my kids to teach them some Halloween vocabulary and adjectives which I've been teaching to all of my classes during the past week.  They seemed excited to be doing something besides the regular book, but only a few in each class seemed to know much about costumes and jack-o-lanterns from their English academies.  I only teach one class on Thursdays so they were the lucky ones who got candy from me (after they learned how to say trick or treat). 

Here are a few pictures from Eric's Halloween party..




Testing out his costume

No comments:

Post a Comment