Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wednesday Night Thoughts: English Education in Korea

Some thoughts and questions on English education in Korea, based solely on my own opinions, observations, and wonderings…

Lately I have been finding myself feeling rather frustrated with the English education system in Korea.  Working at a public school for the last nine and a half months has taught me a bit about the government funded English education system here.  During this time I have also begun to feel like my job is increasingly pointless and useless.  

For comparison purposes, when I was working at a private academy (hagwon) last year, we had an English only rule.  During class time all of the students, kindergarten through middle school, were allowed to speak only English.  Even the Korean teachers only spoke English (with the exception of some higher level grammar classes).  As a result, the students were basically forced to just “figure it out” in a sense.  Their grammar wasn’t usually ever perfect but they were forced to try to tell me things in English and have a conversation with me.  So many of them did have conversations with me because they simply kept trying and trying, practicing and practicing their English every day.  Several of my kindergartners were able to go from not knowing a single word in English to speaking in full sentences and reading and writing more than just phonetic words in one year’s time.  

Then I found out what it was like in a public school.  There are no expectations for them to speak English whatsoever, thus they don’t even have a reason to try.  I am the only native English teacher (NET) at my school but I only teach third and fourth grade, the first two years of English education in public school.  I have a Korean co-teacher with me at all times who may speak a sentence or two of English during the 40 minute class period.  Everything I say in English is translated into Korean almost immediately after I say it.  This, of course, means the students have no need to listen to what I am saying in English because they will hear it in a language they understand in five seconds.  So my question is, what is really the purpose of my job as a “native English teacher?”  Yes, I have the students listen and repeat the key language we are learning over and over and practice with games and activities, but overall they are not at all motivated to learn from me when they have someone else who will speak in a language they don't have to think to understand.  Not to mention when they hear it and say it for less than 80 minutes a week it doesn’t take long for it to be gone from their minds for good.

The government is in the process of drastically reducing and, I think, eliminating just about all of the NET jobs and replacing them with all Korean English teachers.  For the 2014 school year the budget for NET funding will be cut by 50%.  The official budget will be released this Friday to know exactly which schools will still have their NETs funded by either City Hall or the Government Provincial Office of Education and which won’t.  I realize that NETs are very expensive to fund and there are plenty of Korean teachers out there who can speak English well enough to teach it.  But unless something changes, I don’t see this increasing the country’s English ability at all.  At my school, two out of the three English teachers can have only a very simple conversation with me.  Their “English” classes are conducted all in Korean.  Even my classes are conducted mostly in Korean since the only thing the students learn from me is pronunciation of the two or three key sentences from each lesson, which as I said before, they will quickly forget.  


If the country is serious about having their people continue to be competitive in the global world they need to drastically step up their public English education.  I don’t see how it’s at all possible for a student to be successful in English with only a public school education.  Right now it seems to involve spending thousands of dollars on a private academy for most students to become successful in reading and writing and maybe speaking.  The huge push for native English speakers to come teach English in Korea has been going on for a good fifteen years or so but from what I’ve seen, it hasn’t done nearly as much as one would think, in my opinion.  Maybe it’s that people aren’t confident enough to use the skills they really do have.  Maybe it’s because not everyone can afford to send their child to a private academy from age three through high school.  Maybe it’s because the curriculum used in public schools is totally useless or because such little English is actually spoken in English class in these public schools.  Whatever the reason, will getting rid of the native English speakers and replacing them with Korean teachers who may or may not speak English well make a difference?  I guess in time we will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment