Sunday, May 5, 2013

Springtime Weekend

It was a beautiful spring weekend in Seoul!!  Saturday was a special day as we were able to use Skype in order to watch one of my best friend's get married.  Skype is awesome and I definitely don't know how I would survive without it!! Being able to watch the wedding definitely made the day so much easier than I thought it might be since I couldn't be there and I was so thankful it worked out that way (thanks to my parents!).  Eric and I even got dressed up for the occasion- me in what would have been my bridesmaid dress and him in a suit.  Since we were all dressed up we decided we definitely needed to make the most of it and go on a date.  We decided on Iron Man 3 and dinner at our favorite international buffet restaurant, Ashley.  Koreans get dressed up in suits and dresses just to go to the store so we didn't need to worry about looking out of place in our fancy clothes. 

Sunday was Children's Day, a national holiday in Korea.  Everything is closed and parents spend the whole day out and about with their kids.  Needless to say you do not want to go anywhere that would be a family or kid friendly place on that day (we chose to avoid the subway as well).  Children's Day would be a day off from work for us but of course the two years we are here it falls on a Saturday and Sunday!  It was another beautiful day though and I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and ride my bike for the first time since October.  I had forgot how much fun and how nice it can be to ride along the Han River (near where we used to live).  As I was riding there I couldn't help but think of all the times Eric and I rode that route going to and from work all last spring and fall.  Seeing how nice it was on the river made me almost miss living there and being able to walk out the door and be on the river.  I definitely don't miss that apartment but being on the river was sure nice!  I rode for quite a while and even biked across Olympic Bridge, something I've wanted to do ever since we got bikes last spring.  I must say that after riding for over an hour (for the first time in months), walking up the stairs to the fifth floor when I got home was a bit rough!  Later in the day Eric and I went for a walk through the park and enjoyed some ice cream since it's officially ice cream season now. 

I've been meaning to mention that Eric started another job a couple weeks ago which he is enjoying.  Since his job is only part time he is able to take on other jobs, legally.  He found one that was looking for an English teacher only on Friday afternoons, which worked perfect for his schedule since Friday was an extra day off for him.  He teaches using English storybooks and comprehension workbooks.  It's not very close to our house but also not as far away as his Monday-Thursday job.  He says the work is easy and it pays nicely too.  He didn't have to sign a contract for a specific amount of time so it's something he can do until we leave in March or quite anytime before then.

It looks like it will be staying in the 20's Celsius (70's F) for the time being.  We are hopeful that it will stay there for a few months and maybe we can have a shorter summer this year.  I guess we will have to wait and see!

 
Some pictures from my bike ride.  The Han River and the middle of Olympic Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment